Online College in the High School (OCHS) is an interactive course or program that delivers instruction to a student by computer. OCHS is provided by an agreement between RLC and the providers of OCHS. Students may choose to enroll in one or more courses which come from on-line programs and providers approved by the Minnesota Department of Education.
Students applying to OCHS must (1) have an adequate grade point average and class rank and (2) achieve college level assessment scores.
All students wishing to participate in OCHS must first take the AccuPlacer test to demonstrate college level progiciency in readong. A score of 78 is considered able to perform college level work.
Grade Point Average (GPA) and Class Rank: The high school transcript for the student must list a cumulative GPA that is at or above the minimum level for the student high school grade level.
- Senior (12th grade): A student who will participate as a senior must have at least a 2.8 cumulative GPA, and be in the upper one-half of their class or score at or above the 50th percentile on a nationally standardized, norm-referenced test.
- Junior (11th grade): A student who will participate as a junior must have at least a 3.2 cumulative GPA, and be in the upper one-third of their class or score at or above the 70th percentile on a nationally standardized, norm-referenced test.
- Sophomore (10th Grade): A student who will participate as a sophomore must have at least a 3.2 GPA, be in the upper 10% of the class, and be recommended by the High School Principal. Note: Eligible 10th grade students will be allowed to enroll in one Career and Technical Education (CTE) course provided they meet specific course requirements and pre-requisites. In addition, sophomores must successfully complete the online orientation workshop.
College Level Assessment Scores: The student must complete an ACCUPLACER or ACT assessment and achieve scores that are at or above the minimum level. High schools may contact the online support center to schedule free Accuplacer testing for students interested in OCHS.
- Minimum ACCUPLACER Scores: Reading Comprehension score of 78.
Note: Students enrolling into a math course or a course with a math pre-requisite must attain an Elementary Algebra score of at least 85, OR an Elementary Algebra score of at least 78 and a College Level Mathematics score of at least 50.
- Minimum ACT Scores: Reading sub score of 21.
Note: Students enrolling into a math course or a course with a math pre-requisite must attain a Math sub score of at least 22.
- Extenuating Circumstances: A student may retest once annually. Admission to the program without "college level" AccuPlacer scores may be attained by entering the waiver process, where the High School Principal would consider any extraordinary circumstances.
Returning Students: All registrations for students are contingent on previous semester grades/GPA. Students will be registered when high school rosters are received and grades will be reviewed at end of term. If a student does not meet the GPA criteria, that student will be removed from their registered course(s) and the proctor will be notified by the OCHS support center.